I’m a mom, PR pro (click the link to find me on LinkedIn), and the founder of EntrepreneurMom. Over the years I’ve been blessed to work with some pretty big corporate clients on both sides of the Atlantic (including Macy’s, McDonald’s, Woolworth’s Sustainability and many more).
Back in the day I left for work in the dark and often came back only 14 hours later. I took calls in the evening, was never separated from my Blackberry and even responded to emails on Sunday mornings. But I loved it, work had become my identity, and it made me feel, well, needed.
But that all went belly up when my son was born in 2010; actually that’s an understatement. He literally rocked my world. Suddenly I had been called to take on a new identity, ‘mom‘ and I was needed in a much bigger & more powerful way! After staying home with him for four months there was just no way I could return to work. And being the stubborn person that I am, I forged a path that allowed me to stay home and work (see one of my most popular posts, “Four Reasons I Choose to Be A Mompreneur” to learn more).
This wasn’t a decision that always met with enthusiasm from friends and family: I was a single mom and sole breadwinner, so I HAD to work. It wasn’t always easy (not sure it was ever ‘easy‘!); there were so many lessons to learn along the way and still so many more to go! But would drove me was this intrinsic knowledge that I was doing the right thing for my family.
I still feel that way…every. single. day.
So I traded in my high heels for comfy shoes but not my love for helping small business make some noise! Now I make it my business to help other mamas to start, grow, and create awareness of their home business.
My executive days have been left far behind; in this office we have sticky fingers on computer screens, coffee stains on those super-important papers, and the odd “Mom! Can you wipe my bum??!!” while on the phone with a big client…but I wouldn’t trade in my home business for all the career promotions in the world.
I’m a Christ-centered mama & mompreneur; titles I am proud to wear. He weaves a thread through all that I do & hope to use my love for service to help other moms achieve their dreams as well.
Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
Here are 10 things you may not know about me:
1. I was born in Zimbabwe but now live in the USA
2. I have two sisters, but we have never all lived in the same country at the same time.
3. In the course of my life I have held citizenship to three separate countries
4. I served in the United States Coast Guard for 5 and a half years
5. I was stationed in Cape Canaveral and helped to provide ocean security around the space shuttle launches.
6. I have surfed in Hawaii, Cape Town, and Florida but am a mountain girl at heart.
7. I’m a pretty good shot with a 9mm, but really should never be near a rifle (I can’t close the eye that needs to be closed!)
8. I am Vegan and a Christian
9. I have a rescue dog named Molly, from LEAPS. She flew all the way from South Africa to the US with us (thanks to Global Paws).
10. Before I had my son I was training to become an ocean lifeguard and compete in the half Ironman (but life had other plans for me; enter my beautiful son!)
Creating a successful home business is not difficult, but it isn’t easy either! It takes time, work, dedication but there is a massive pay off for your family.
So I have just one question for you…