Did you know that how we approach our failures and successes can be a great indicator of whether or not we will succeed?
Basically there are two types of mindsets (or ways of looking at the world) One way often means we will end up failing while the other one…helps us on the road to success (and this is true in all areas of life, not only business).
The most exciting things is that no matter which mindset you had been using before now: you can actually learn how to change it & start working towards success right away!
So the million dollar question is…
Which one are you using?
The first mindset gets really excited about a project and works tirelessly to pull it off, but is actually running on fear. For a while you may feel as though you are getting ahead, but as soon as the fear subsides (like you achieve a small success), suddenly your mind sees only how much further it still has to go before reaching your BIG goal.
It goes a little something like this:
You: WOW! I sold three of my products today, whoo-hoo!!
Your Mind: So what? You have 100 more on the shelf, you haven’t broken even, and it took you three months to sell them!
Sound like a conversation you have ever had with yourself?
The other type of personality recognises they have a way to get to their goal as well, but focuses on their successes to date.
Their internal conversation goes a little more like this:
You: Wow! I sold three of my products today…
Your Mind: Wow, that is two more than last month!
You: Yes! And I signed up five new subscribers this month too!
Huge difference! In one, your mind works against you, and in the other, you make a pretty great team!
What is really inspiring though, is that BOTH mindsets can dwell in the same person at the same time, but we just use them in different areas of our life. I totally identify with this…see if you recognise any of these scenarios in yourself:
1) Really good at keeping your body fit and healthy, but struggle with your business?
2) Really great at your business but your health and weight suffers?
3) Have a great relationship but suffer in another area?
4) Suffer in ANY area of your life BUT not in at least one other.
You will have a pretty good idea of which mindset is at work: look at how successful you are in that particular area!
I’ll let you in on a secret: I’m number 1 through and through. I used to be constantly at war with myself until began to make a conscious, deliberate effort every day to keep my mind on my side.
Who has a bigger following? Who published a book I wanted to publish? How many subscribers do I have? Constantly comparing myself to other business women (this was especially true when I first began working on my own from home), or reprimanding myself for not being where I thought I should be.
And when you are feeling like that there does not seem to be any point to continue. And if you quit (your Mind says)…then you wouldn’t be a failure right, because it was your decision.
How did I stop the cycle in my life?
One day I recognised how I was approaching fitness and health differently, with a different mindset. It is not to say that I ALWAYS work out or eat healthily (in fact, that’s part of what made me see the light). I love to run, but like many moms I really struggle to fit in personal fitness time! So when I start running, swimming, working out, it is hard! When my son was born I could swim 1.5km in the pool (I don’t remember how many laps that is, but it is a lot! I’m not naturally an endurance swimmer, I used to get out of the pool in tears, pushed beyond my breaking point. But every day I went back for more!). But after not swimming for months…and months….the first time I got back in a pool I could only do 10 laps. That’s right. 10. And that hurt. I could not breathe. But instead of focusing on the additional laps I was unable to do, I was proud; truly proud of my accomplishment!
Which made it easier to get back in the pool again a few days later, where I did 20, and then 30. I was again reminded of this recently after going for a run for the first time in MONTHS. Everything hurt: my legs, my lungs, my stomach! But boy was I proud. And exhilarated at being out there!
The great news is that you can absolutely train your mind to be on your team!
Here are a few things that I do to ensure that my mind is on my side:
- Recognise what type of mindset you have in business and in other areas of your life.
- Realise that you have the power to change your mindset right now, as in immediately! Doesn’t matter who you are, or how old you are, your success can start to change instantaneously!
- Make a list: I have an ongoing list, right next to my desk where I write down the wins and gains I have in business; no matter how insignificant they may seem. Whether new subscribers, a sale, or learning a new skill, it is all win-win on the stepping stone path to success!
- Review: I review this list every day, several times a day.
- (my fav) Planning ranks pretty high in my life: annual, quarterly & weekly. This really comes in handy when self doubt tries to creep in…just put your head down and get back to The Plan…there’s no time to waste worrying about others!